New to Architexts? Click here for the most popular comics of the past 30 days.
About Working With Contractors:
My experience has been similar to George’s. –Maverick
The article that was forwarded to me was a special report called “5 Tips for Working Harmoniously with an Architect” by Builder Magazine, and apparently only available by email. The 5 tips are:
1. Realize you are part of a team. Each side needs to understand—and appreciate—the role the other party plays in the process.
2. Communication is key. Get in touch early in the process, and whenever problems arise. Don’t wait for things to escalate to the point that civil, constructive conversation is impossible.
3. Keep egos in check. Harmony is a lot easier to achieve if builder and architect can dial back the attitude, and acknowledge that both parties have much to bring to the table.
4. Have a plan for working through obstacles. Mistakes will happen, so take a cue from the Boy Scouts and adopt preparedness as part of your working relationship toolkit.
5. If things do go south, bring in a third party. When temperaments do not work well together, the best chance is to have both sides interact in the presence of a third party—be it the owner or even a mediator. Friction often translates into the end product, so it’s vital to bring harmony to the process. Otherwise, it will slow down construction, and could adversely affect the final result.
If the article is posted online, I’ll post a link.
Want to participate in our future book, Architects, LOL? Click here to learn about the project and fill out the interest form.
- AIA AREs AutoCAD Autodesk Becky Christmas Chronicles of the Office IT Guy Chuck client Coffee color Construction Administration consultants email Eva George IDP Interns Juliet Katie Liz lunch Lunch and Learn marketing measure ups Modulor Man Mr. Franklin Mr. Newbury NCARB Peter plotter proposals Revit Sam Scott specifications Starbucks summer interns Taking The AREs Thanksgiving Tia Tim timesheets Tom Yvonne
Want to be the first to know when a new comic is published? Click here to join our mailing list.